Crew Boss | S-230 | May 20th - 22nd
S-230 - Crew Boss
This is a classroom course designed to produce student proficiency in the performance of duties associated with the Single Resource Boss position from initial dispatch through demobilization to the home unit. Topics include operational leadership, preparation and mobilization, assignment preparation, risk management, entrapment avoidance, safety and tactics, offline duties, demobilization, and post-incident responsibilities.
|Crew Boss | Cost: $125|
All classes on Monday May 20th will begin that day at 0900 (CT).
On all other days, classes will begin at 0800 (CT).
Classes are scheduled to end each day by 1700 (CT).
- Describe Crew Boss responsibilities prior to and during mobilization, on the incident, and during demobilization.
- Identify the hazards and risks on various incidents and describe how to mitigate them.
- Describe tactics which are appropriate to various wildland fire situations and procedures to implement them through the chain of command.
Course Components and Hours to Complete
- Pre-selection assessment N/A
- Pre-course work 2
- Online training N/A
- Instructor-led training 24
- Total Hours 26
- Target Group
- Personnel desiring to be qualified as any Single Resource Boss.
Minimum Instructor Qualifications
Lead instructor must be a qualified Strike Team Leader (STL) or Task Force Leader (TFLD).
Unit instructors must be qualified as any Single Resource Boss.
See NWCG Instructor Certification at the beginning of this Guide.
Qualified as Firefighter Type 1 (FFT1).
Successful completion of S-290, Intermediate Wildland Fire Behavior.
Satisfactory completion of pre-course work.