Distance Running Camp - Runner Registration
Yellow Jacket Cross Country Camps
18th Annual Black Hills Distance Running Camp
This camp is for high school or middle school students who desire to learn more about competitive running. The goal of camp is to educate campers about the development process of running and racing at a high level and to help prepare the athlete for cross country and / or track.
Dates: July 25th - 28th
Grades: 6th - 12th
Cost: $325 for Resident (Housing & All Meals Included)
$280 for Commuter (All Meals Included)
*There is a discount of $15 per camper for five or more athletes from the same school, must be five boys or five girls (seperate)*
4:00 p.m. (Everyone must check-in at Bordeaux Hall)
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Donald E. Young Sports Center, located on the BHSU campus and the on trails in the beautiful Black Hills!
- Technical analysis of running form
- Sessions on strength training, proper nutrition, goal setting and motivation
- Developing your training plan
- Camp T-shirt
- Camp race
- Practice and training guidelines
- Hydro Training
- Steeplechase training/hurdling
- Running terminology
- Meet preparations and racing tactics & strategies
Campers should bring bedding or sleeping bag, pillow, towels, swimsuits, training clothes, two pair of running shoes, one pair of spikes or racing flats, and personal toiletries. Also an extra running shirt for T-Shirt exchange.
Meals & Lodging
A nutritious continental breakfast will be served after each morning run. BHSU’s dining services will provide lunch and dinner. Resident campers will be housed in on-campus dormitories.
- Dr. Joe Vigil (Adams State)
- Olympian Jim Spivey
- Billy Mills (10k Olympic Champion)
- Jeff Turning Heart
- Dave Little (BHSU)
- Scott Underwood (SDSU)
- Rich Greeno (Univ. of Sioux Falls)
- Del Helsel (Colorado State)
- Dennis Newell (Univ. of Mary)
- Randy Hassenbank (Iowa)
- Orville Hess (Gillette, WY)
- Art Baures (Sheridan, WY)
- Rick Bishop (Cheyenne Central)
- Matt DeWald (Univ. of South Dakota)
- Scott Foley (Boise State, BHSU)
- Dr. Robert Schurrer
Each camper must be covered by their own accident and medical insurance.
Scott Walkinshaw, Camp Director, at (605)642-6486 or Scott.Walkinshaw@BHSU.edu