Gregg Downer Virtual Basketball Camp 2
Gregg Downer Virtual Basketball Academy
The Lower Merion Way
Lower Merion High School basketball coach Gregg Downer will host Week 2 of his virtual youth basketball camp July 27-30. Coach Downer and his team will lead an action-packed program of live and recorded skill development and share “The Lower Merion Way” with boys and girls ages 8-18. Learn championship skills, drills, techniques and “mentality” from Kobe Bryant’s legendary coach that helped shape Kobe and generations of Lower Merion Aces, including more than 70 who have gone on to play -- and win -- at the college and professional levels.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE:
- Four days of live, online skill development, games and competition
- Daily talks by Coach Downer
- Special guest speakers
- Direct feedback from Coach Downer and staff during workouts
- Limited edition camp t-shirt (will be available for pickup or can be mailed)
Camp hours are 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM ET M-TH, combining live and recorded programming (one hour each day of recorded skills and drills for campers to complete at home).
NOTE: This virtual camp will replace in-person camps this summer. Enrollment is limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
HOW IT WORKS:
All sessions will be conducted via Zoom. Staff will lead campers through live, online drills and activities and share links to recorded drills. The experience will be much like a live camp, but with staff communicating with campers through a device, rather than in person.
WHAT CAMPERS NEED:
- A ball and basket (at home, at park, at friend/neighbor house)
- A device with internet access, video and audio capabilities (campers must be able to see and hear instructions). Ideally, campers should use wireless/bluetooth headphones (like AirPods) or speakers connected to the device while doing drills so they can both see and hear coaches.
- Access to Zoom
- When logging on to Zoom, please rename your screen name to name of child/camper
NOTE: We will send more detailed instructions about use of Zoom to families of registered campers. We will conduct a test Zoom set up on Sunday, July 26. All campers will receive a brief orientation session on the first day.
IN CASE OF RAIN:
In case of inclement weather, we will hold Friday, July 31 from 9 AM - 12 PM as the make-up day.
● If you need to cancel, full refunds will only be given if cancellation occurs on or before 7/20/20.
● Campers will be expected to be on their best behavior and to follow camp rules throughout the week as they would in person. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from camp without a refund.
● Parents are expected to ensure that kids are properly supervised.
“There is no better camp for kids who want to learn the game the right way. No one is better than Coach Downer.” - Darryl Reynolds ’12 (National Champion/Villanova Wildcats)
"In many ways, I got my start at Lower Merion Basketball Camp. It's a lot of fun and Coach Downer runs a great program. I highly recommend it." - Ryan Brooks '06 (Pro Basketball Player/Temple Owls)
"Hard work. Dedication. Results. That's what I learned playing at Lower Merion and I got my first taste of it at camp. It's a must for any kid in the area who loves basketball." - Garrett Williamson '06 (Pro Basketball Player/St. Joe’s Hawks)
"Coach Downer’s camp is like a family. I'm fortunate to have had the opportunity to be a camper and now I love coming back to lend a hand." - Dan Capkin '05 (Gettysburg College, DIII All American, ESPN Academic All American)
"I grew up going to Coach Downer’s camp and looked forward to it every summer. It is definitely one of the best camps around." - Oliver Cohen '10 (Tufts Jumbos, 2-Year Starting Point Guard)