Camp T.U.R.F. Application
CAMP T.U.R.F. (Tomorrow’s Undergraduates Realizing the Future)
Camp T.U.R.F. is a FREE 2-week, residential science academy at Oklahoma State University – Stillwater. Students will interact with professors and explore a variety of careers in horticulture and landscaping, with hands-on activities at botanical gardens, field research stations, a turfgrass research center, greenhouses, research laboratories and design laboratories, and special OSU facilities such as the Insect Zoo. Evening and recreational activities are also planned. Helpful sessions about college admission, financial aid, and skills for success will be included in the academy as well as evening and recreational activities.
Selection criteria: Students must be Oklahoma residents entering their freshman or sophomore year of high school in the fall of 2019. Applications accepted beginning March 11, 2019. Selected applicants (20 students) will be notified starting April 1, 2019.
Location: Oklahoma State University – Stillwater. Students will stay in residential suites on campus (with roommates).
Cost: The academy is free for selected students. All expenses (food, lodging, transportation during the academy, materials and supplies, etc.) are covered through grants and donations.
|APPLICATION | June 2nd - 14th|
Grades: 9th - 10th (Fall of 2019)
Applications accepted beginning March 11, 2019
Please do not send transcripts, letters of recommendation, or other attachments with this application. They are not used in the selection process. Thank you!Cost: $FREE
- Creating concrete pervious pavers and measuring infiltration rates
- Landscape architecture activities (landscape design sketches, making models, etc.)
- Filming a segment of the TV show Oklahoma Gardening (to be aired)
- Making dish gardens and bonsai to take home
- Grafting different herbaceous plants together
- Cloning African violets in a laboratory
- Using calorimeters to measure the energy contained in food
- Using laboratory procedures to diagnose plant diseases
Plus evening/weekend activities such as:
- Insect Adventure (Exotic insect petting zoo, Maggot art, Termite NASCAR, etc.)
- Wildcrafting walk to learn about edible wild plants (with a taste test as well)
- Swimming, Water Balloon Volleyball, Slip and Slide Kickball, Basketball
- Summer Fun on the OSU Student Union plaza (movies, games, etc.)
- Meals at places like Eskimo Joe’s, Hideaway Pizza
Supervision: Male and female counselors will reside in the suites with the academy students. They will be responsible for the participants in the evenings and overnight. During the day, the camp director and professors will accompany the students to all classes and field trips.
Online processing fees are not refundable.